Finding time for yourself can be extremely difficult when you have children, especially when they are young. Many of us crave for just a few minutes of peace, or a child-free evening out with our friends or partner. Carrying out the normal things in life can take so much longer, such as grocery shopping, household chores and preparing the evening meal. And each of these things must be crammed into your day when you’re working a job too!
Why Do You Need Time for Yourself?
However much we love our children and adore them, everyone needs a little space to breathe so finding time for yourself is very important. Talk to your partner and ask them to take over during these times so you have someone looking after the children. Having space relieves stress allowing your body and mind to physically relax. It enables you to think with a clearer head, encourages a better sleep, gives you some much needed ‘me’ time and probably makes you a happier person and a better parent! Some mothers feel guilty having time away from their children, or miss them being around. You shouldn’t feel guilty, it’s not a selfish thing to do. Having time to yourself is normal and incredibly beneficial.
5 Ideas for You
Most of us will need to make the concerted effort to find time for ourselves. We have to, if you like, slot in time to our busy schedules so that we don’t miss out! Here are 5 ideas for getting some ‘me time’:
- Exercise: Many of us don’t make the time to get out of the house and get the heart pumping! Exercise releases the ‘feel good’ endorphins, encourages a healthy heart and may even help us to lose some of those unwanted extra baby pounds.
- Relaxation: Relaxing at the end of the day is very important but it’s not always easy when you have young children. Take time out and learn how to meditate, pamper yourself or go to a yoga class, or even just soak in a warm bath while listening to relaxing music!
- Online Games: Online games like bingo or pokies are becoming more and more popular, especially when you have the incentive to win cash! These websites are easily accessible, so you don’t even need to leave home to have some ‘me time’ and they only take a few minutes to play, so it’s easy to clear your mind quickly and have a bit of fun.
- Fresh Air: Getting out the house and going for a brisk walk will really release the stresses and strains of the day. Find a walking buddy and power walk if you want to get fit!
- Be Creative: Many of us did creative hobbies when we had more freedom and time for ourselves. Re-ignite your creative passion and get dressmaking, knitting, painting, drawing or even baking – restore your energy in your creativity!
Making time to be creative is especially good for us. We all need a creative outlet, to help us escape from everyday pressures. Finding just 10 minutes a day to do something which brings you joy, relaxation and you time is the key to a happier and healthier life.