Soup is a perfect dinner idea for a cold winter’s day and this pumpkin kumera soup recipe certainly hits the spot! It’s even Hubby approved which is really saying something because he’s not much of a soup guy.
- 1 large pumpkin (or the equivalent in small ones)
- 3 kumaras
- 4 vegetable stock cubes
- water ( just enough to cover the vegetables)
- 1 onion
- 1 tin lite coconut cream
- 1 tin evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Peel the skins off the pumpkin and kumara and chop into cubes.
- Put the chopped vegetables into a large pot and pour just enough water to cover them.
- Dice the onion and add to pot.
- Add the stock cubes. (Tip: I crumble the cubes up for easier absorption.)
- Cover pot and allow to cook for 30-40 minutes on high until vegetables are soft.
- Remove from heat and blend together in a blender until smooth.
- Return to pot and add coconut cream, evaporated milk, salt, pepper, mustard seeds and ginger. Stir.
- Simmer on low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid burning.
- Serve with cheese toasties or other suitable accompaniment.