Spaghetti bolognese is one of my family’s favourite meals. Especially my hubby’s!
- cooking oil spray
- 500 grams prime beef mince
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic (or 1 clove minced)
- 1 tin of lentils
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 sachet of tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon each of dried herbs (I prefer oregano, thyme and sweet basil)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 250 grams spaghetti pasta
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- grated cheese
- optional: grated veges such as carrot or courgettes or frozen peas, corn and carrots
- Spray a large frying pan lightly with cooking oil spray and set the stove element to a medium temperature.
- Cook the diced onion and crushed garlic until onion is clear and then brown mince until cooked.
- Separate liquid from tin of lentils and add lentils to the mince.
- Fill a medium sized saucepan with water and set to boiling.
- Add tinned tomato, tomato paste, salt and pepper and herbs (and optional veges) to the mince and stir together then leave to simmer.
- Add oil and spaghetti pasta to the boiling water and leave to cook.
- Both pasta and mince will be ready approximately at the same time.
- Drain the spaghetti and spoon onto plates.
- Spoon the mince onto the spaghetti and sprinkle with grated cheese.